Suggested Group Craft
Completing the Shelter Volunteer Patch Program® is a suggested prerequisite for earning your Pet Advocate Patch. Your volunteer experience will help provide you with the knowledge needed to advocate for the welfare of pets. You can also opt to complete the Shelter Volunteer patch requirements during the time you earn this advocate patch.
People own pets for a variety of reasons. They provide love and companionship, can help with anxiety and depression and can even help people socialize more and make more friends. But sometimes pets are not properly cared for and they need our assistance. Choose a pet issue to advocate for.
Requirement 2: Do It!
Choose a pet issue to advocate for. Some ideas:
- Get more volunteers for an animal shelter.
- Educate about proper pet care.
- Educate about the benefits of pet adoption.
- Raise money for a service dog for a disabled vet (your organization may not allow you to raise funds, check first.)
- Get community support for a cat colony.
Who do you want to reach? Some ideas:
- Your Family
- Your Neighbors
- Politicians — Helpful link: How to Contact Your Elected Officials
- Your Classmates
- Your Fellow Worshipers
- Other Groups or Organizations
How will you reach them? Helpful link: How to Advocate for Your Cause
- Talk to them. Consider wearing a button as a conversation starter.
- Hand out flyers. Consider setting up a booth to collect donations if allowed.
- Hang tags on doors and mail boxes.
- Make posters.
- Reach out with social media such as Facebook.
- Send a press release to your local newspaper or school newspaper. Helpful link: How to write a press release.
Always remember to thank those who helped with your advocacy program.
Ways to say Thank You:
- Personally thank individuals and businesses who helped. A hand written letter is always nice. Helpful link: How to write a thank you letter.
- Thank the community as a whole with posters.
- Create a follow up press release and include the names of individuals and businesses who participated.
- Thank the community as a whole on social media.
- Give certificates of appreciation.
Discuss Your Advocacy Project
- Do you think your advocacy project improved conditions for pets?
- Will you continue?
- What else can you do for pets in your community?
Congratulations you have earned the Pet Advocate patch! The patch can be purchased from our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
You can become an Animal Welfare Advocate by earning all 5 animal advocate level patches.
Does this give you any ideas for becoming a Pet Welfare Delegate.
See all our current Advocate level Patch Program®s:
Related Fun Patch Ideas:
Note: Many of the links provided to assist with completing our Patch Program®s are external and do not imply an endorsement or recommendation. At the time of publication, external content was vetted to the best of our ability. Your views and ideas may vary and we do not intend for you to substitute our opinions for yours. Research the topic thoroughly before beginning a project. As always, make sure children access the internet only under safe-surfing conditions.