Suggested Group Craft
Create a habitat for helpful insects and bugs in your own backyard with this fun insect hotel craft from FreeKidsCrafts.com.
Completing one of the volunteer level Patch Program®s below is a suggested prerequisite for earning your Animal Habitat Advocate Patch. Your volunteer experience will help provide you with the knowledge needed to advocate for the welfare of animal habitats. You can also opt to complete the volunteer requirements during the time you earn this advocate patch.
- Animal Habitat Protector Service Patch Program®
- Sea Life Protector Service Patch Program®
- Honey Bee Supporter Service Patch Program®
- Bird Sanctuary Volunteer Service Patch Program®
Loss of habitat is a critical issue for many species. When you advocate for animal habitats you are are also advocating for a better earth for people.
Requirement 2: Do It!
Choose an animal habitat issue to advocate for. Some ideas:
- Have educational signs made for a park.
- Get more volunteers for a habitat project.
- Raise money for a habitat project. (Your organization may not allow you to raise funds, check first.)
- Reduce the use of plastic in your neighborhood.
- Increase the number of trash receptacles at a park.
- Add recycling receptacles to a public area.
Who do you want to reach? Some ideas:
- Your Family
- Your Neighbors
- Politicians — Helpful link: How to Contact Your Elected Officials
- Your Classmates
- Your Fellow Worshipers
- Other Groups or Organizations
How will you reach them? Helpful link: How to Advocate for Your Cause
- Talk to them. Consider wearing a button as a conversation starter.
- Hand out flyers. Consider setting up a booth to collect donations if allowed.
- Hang tags on doors and mail boxes.
- Make posters.
- Reach out with social media such as Facebook.
- Send a press release to your local newspaper or school newspaper. Helpful link: How to write a press release.
Always remember to thank those who helped with your advocacy program.
Ways to say Thank You:
- Thank the community as a whole on social media.
- Give certificates of appreciation.
Discuss Your Advocacy Project
- Do you think your advocacy project advanced the preservation of animal habitats?
- Will you continue?
- What else can you do to promote animal habitats in your community?
Congratulations you have earned the Habitats Advocate patch! The patch can be purchased from our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
You can become an Animal Welfare Advocate by earning all 5 animal advocate level patches.
Does this give you some ideas for becoming an Animal Habitat Delegate?
See all our current Advocate level Patch Program®s:
Related Fun Patch Ideas:
Note: Many of the links provided to assist with completing our Patch Program®s are external and do not imply an endorsement or recommendation. At the time of publication, external content was vetted to the best of our ability. Your views and ideas may vary and we do not intend for you to substitute our opinions for yours. Research the topic thoroughly before beginning a project. As always, make sure children access the internet only under safe-surfing conditions.