Completing the Tree Planting Patch Program® is a suggested prerequisite for earning your Clean Air Advocate Service Patch. Your volunteer experience will help provide you with the knowledge needed to advocate. You can also opt to complete the Tree Planting patch requirements during the time you earn this volunteer patch.
Plants, animals and people all need clean air for good health. Clean air is especially important for older people, those with allergies and many with chronic conditions.
Requirement 2: Do It!
Choose a clean air issue to advocate for. Some ideas:
- Advocate to have the air quality tested in your home, school, meeting place or other public building in your community.
- Advocate for greener cleaning products in your home or school.
- Advocate for lower emissions for cars and factories.
- Educate others about asthma, allergies or another health issues that are worsened by air pollution.
- Ask your neighbors to each plant a tree on Arbor or another day.
- Advocate for a “No Idling Policy” at your school.
Who do you want to reach? Some ideas:
- Your Family
- Politicians — Helpful link: How to Contact Your Elected Officials
- Your Fellow Worshipers
- Other Groups or Organizations
How will you reach them? Helpful link: How to Advocate for Your Cause
- Talk to them. Consider wearing a button as a conversation starter.
- Hand out flyers. Consider setting up a booth to collect donations if allowed.
- Hang tags on doors and mail boxes.
- Make posters.
- Reach out with social media such as Facebook.
- Send a press release to your local newspaper or school newspaper. Helpful link: How to write a press release.
Always remember to thank those who helped with your advocacy program.
Ways to say Thank You:
- Thank the community as a whole on social media.
- Give certificates of appreciation.
Discuss Your Advocacy Project
- Do you think your advocacy project advanced the promotion of clean air?
- Will you continue?
- What else can you do to promote clean air in your community?
Congratulations! You have earned the Clean Air Advocate patch. It can be purchased at our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
You can become an Environment Welfare Advocate by earning all 5 environment advocate level patches.
Did completing this Patch Program® give you some ideas for becoming a Clean Air Delegate?
See all our current Advocate level Patch Program®s:
Related Fun Patch Ideas:
Note: Many of the links provided to assist with completing our Patch Program®s are external and do not imply an endorsement or recommendation. At the time of publication, external content was vetted to the best of our ability. Your views and ideas may vary and we do not intend for you to substitute our opinions for yours. Research the topic thoroughly before beginning a project. As always, make sure children access the internet only under safe-surfing conditions.