This patch and all program supplies are available from our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
Suggested Group Craft
Create a habitat for helpful insects and bugs in your own backyard with this fun insect hotel craft from FreeKidsCrafts.com.
Requirement 1: Learn It!
An animal habitat is a place where animals live. They live in that habitat because they can get what they need like food, water, and air. People live in neighborhoods. It’s their habitat. Animal habitats are places like forest, deserts, oceans and woodlands. Often, we share our habitat with other animals because our neighborhood was built in their habitat. It’s important that animal habitats are protected and humans respect the homes of animals.
- What animals live in your area?
- Have you ever seen a squirrel? A lizard? A deer? A rabbit?
- Where do you see them? In your yard? At the park?
- Find out all the different types of animals that live near you with this interactive map.
Requirement 2: See It!
Think about your area. What kind of animal habitats are there? Parks are animal habitats. Backyards are animal habitats too. Take a walk in an animal habitat.
Things to Look For:
- What kind of animals do you see?
- What kind of animals might be there that you don’t see?
- Is the habitat clean and inviting?
- Do you think the animals feel safe?
Requirement 3: Do It!
Think about what you saw in the animal habitat.
Participate in a habitat clean up project. Here are some ideas:
- Clean up the animal habitat you visited.
- Find another animal habitat to clean up.
- Participate in an organized habitat clean up.
Requirement 4: Review It!
Download the optional review sheet for younger achievers.
- Do you consider your clean up a success?
- Would you do it again?
- What would you do different next time?
Why do you think the habitat needed to be cleaned up?
- Were there enough trash cans?
- Were they emptied often?
- Were there recycling bins?
- Did you see anything else that would improve the conditions for wild animals?
Congratulations you have earned the Habitat Clean Up patch! The patch can be purchased from our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
Does this give you some ideas for earning the Habitat Protector patch?
See all our current Friend level Patch Program®s:
Shore Clean Up
Related Fun Patch Ideas:
Note: Many of the links provided to assist with completing our Patch Program®s are external and do not imply an endorsement or recommendation. At the time of publication, external content was vetted to the best of our ability. Your views and ideas may vary and we do not intend for you to substitute our opinions for yours. Research the topic thoroughly before beginning a project. As always, make sure children access the internet only under safe-surfing conditions.
Leave a Reply