This patch and all program supplies are available from our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
Completing the Healthy Food Drive Service Patch Program® is a suggested prerequisite for earning your Feeding the Hungry Patch. Your experience will help provide you with the knowledge you’ll need to provide healthy meals to hungry people. You can also opt to complete the Healthy Food Drive requirements during the time you earn this patch.
Download a crossword puzzle from the USDA to learn more about good nutrition.
Requirement 1: Research It!
Many people think that hunger and poor nutrition is only a problem in third world countries. But there are many people, including children, who are hungry in our country also.
Watch this video to find out why a wealthy country like the U.S. has people suffering from hunger and poor nutrition.
Requirement 2: See It!
Take a trip to a local soup kitchen. Helpful Link: List of Soup Kitchens
Things to find out:
- Are they in need of volunteers?
- What do they need help with?
- Are their age restrictions suitable for you/your group?
- Is the location suitable for commuting from your location?
- Is this on-going or one-time?
- Can you commit to the needs?
- Are there specific dates/times that will work for you/your group?
Requirement 3: Do It!
Participate in a feed the hungry project. Here are some ideas:
- Volunteer at the soup kitchen you visited.
- Volunteer at a different soup kitchen. Helpful Link: Soup Kitchen Volunteers
- Volunteer for Meals on Wheels: Helpful Link: Sign Up to Volunteer
- Volunteer for an Empty Bowl Fundraiser. Helpful Link: Volunteer
- Make single-serving meals that can be frozen for a local senior who live alone.
- Make and deliver sandwiches to homeless people.
Invite a local senior for Sunday dinners.
- Volunteer to distribute food and water after a disaster. Helpful Link: Search Red Cross Locations
Requirement 4: Review It!
- Do you think your project was a success?
- Would you do it again?
- How could you improve on it?
Congratulations! You have earned the Feeding the Hungry patch. It can be purchased at our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
Did working on this Patch Program® give you some ideas for earning the Nutrition Advocate patch?
See all our current Volunteer level Patch Program®s:
Sea Life Protector
Bird Sanctuary Volunteer
Honey Bee Supporter
Related Fun Patch Ideas:
Note: Many of the links provided to assist with completing our Patch Program®s are external and do not imply an endorsement or recommendation. At the time of publication, external content was vetted to the best of our ability. Your views and ideas may vary and we do not intend for you to substitute our opinions for yours. Research the topic thoroughly before beginning a project. As always, make sure children access the internet only under safe-surfing conditions.
Leave a Reply