Completing the Clothing Drive Patch Program® is a suggested prerequisite for earning your Volunteer for the Homeless Patch. Your experience will help provide you with the knowledge you’ll need to volunteer at your local animal shelter. You can also opt to complete the Clothing Drive requirements during the time you earn this patch.
Download this word search to better understand homelessness.
Requirement 1: Research It!
Without shelters we would have many more people living on the streets. Many would be hungry and sick. Without volunteers the homeless shelters would not be able to care for all the people they help. Find a local shelter to volunteer your time. Volunteer opportunities are not necessarily at the shelters. See project ideas under Requirement 2.
Research Points to Consider:
- Are they in need of volunteers?
- What do they need help with?
- Are there age restrictions suitable for you/your group?
- Is this on-going or one-time?
- Is the location suitable for commuting from your location?
- Can you commit to the needs?
- Are there specific dates/times that will work for you/your group?
Requirement 2: See It!
Using your research, choose one or more shelters to visit. Talk to the volunteer coordinator to find out if you are a good fit for them.
- If applicable, make sure the hours are flexible.
- Do we need any special training?
- Are there any supplies we should bring?
- Ask if there are volunteer opportunities outside of the shelter.
Requirement 3: Do It!
Participate in a volunteer project to help the homeless.
- Develop a list of local resources for the homeless. Make cards with the information and hand them out to the homeless.
- Hand out hands, gloves, scarves and blankets to those living on the streets in colder weather.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
- Make and hand out bagged lunches to people living on the streets.
- Volunteer to tutor kids living in a homeless shelter.
Volunteer to do repairs or maintenance at a shelter.
- Volunteer at the shelter daycare center.
- Make sleeping mats for the homeless.
- Offer to watch a neighbor’s children while she looks for work.
- Do you think your project was a success?
- Would you do it again?
- How could you improve on it?
Congratulations you have earned the Volunteer for the Homeless patch! The patch can be purchased from our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
Did completing this Patch Program® give you some ideas for earning the Shelter Advocate patch?
See all our current Volunteer level Patch Program®s:
Related Fun Patch Ideas:
Note: Many of the links provided to assist with completing our Patch Program®s are external and do not imply an endorsement or recommendation. At the time of publication, external content was vetted to the best of our ability. Your views and ideas may vary and we do not intend for you to substitute our opinions for yours. Research the topic thoroughly before beginning a project. As always, make sure children access the internet only under safe-surfing conditions.