Suggested Group Activity
Restaurants and markets often pack food in paper bags. Your group can decorate those bags to send a message not to litter.
Completing the Good Citizen Patch Program® or the Military Appreciation Patch Program® is a suggested prerequisite for earning your Citizen Volunteer Patch. Your experience will help provide you with the knowledge you’ll need. You can also opt to complete the Good Citizen requirements during the time you earn this patch.
Download this crossword puzzle about being a good citizen.
Requirement 1: Research It!
Visit a government building, a municipal park or other location to ask about volunteering your time.
Research Points to Consider:
- Are they in need of volunteers?
- What do they need help with?
- Are there age restrictions suitable for you/your group?
- Is the location suitable for commuting from your location?
- Is this on-going or one-time?
Requirement 2: See It!
Using your research, choose one or more locations to visit. Talk to the volunteer coordinator to find out if you are a good fit for them.
- Do you need any special training?
- Do you need special tools?
- Can you commit to the needs?
- Are there specific dates/times that will work for you/your group?
Requirement 3: Do It!
Participate in a citizen volunteer project. Americorp has a community search to help you find current projects in your area.
- Beautify a town park.
- Volunteer at the library.
- Help clean and maintain your community center.
- Help seniors get to polling places.
- Commit to bringing a disabled neighbor’s garbage can to the curb on garbage day and bring them back to the house after pick up.
- Volunteer to help at an election center on voting day.
- Do you think your volunteer experience was a success?
- Would you do it again?
- How could you improve on it?
Congratulations you have earned the Citizen Volunteer patch! The patch can be purchased from our partner site MakingFriends®.com.
Did completing this Patch Program® give you some ideas for earning the Citzen Advocate patch?
See all our current Volunteer level Patch Program®s:
Related Fun Patch Ideas:
Note: Many of the links provided to assist with completing our Patch Program®s are external and do not imply an endorsement or recommendation. At the time of publication, external content was vetted to the best of our ability. Your views and ideas may vary and we do not intend for you to substitute our opinions for yours. Research the topic thoroughly before beginning a project. As always, make sure children access the internet only under safe-surfing conditions.